Monday, January 08, 2007

Starting tomorrow...

Everything is going to be turned upside down starting tomorrow morning. My lovely, 31 year old, tea drinking, bike riding roommate, Joshua, and I are doing a 3 week body clense/fast/organic tonic regimen. No, this ain't no Beyonce fad diet. I'd like to consider it a favor I'm doing for my body.
For the first week were are going to be getting used to our new eating routine. It will consist mostly of different roots, barks, and things you would find in a bag of mulch. This is going to take some getting used to because I've become comfortable with my carb addiction(i.e. cereal, toast, fried anything, fruits, etc). We'll be able to enjoy some things like unsalted nuts and rice but for the most part we will be nourished my an infinte amount of tea and tonic consisting of maple syrup, lemon juice, more bark and roots. In the middle of the second week there might be a day or two of fasting. Never in my life would I consider doing this if I didn't have someone else to experience it with. Josh has done it before and said that there is a point where the toilet is more of a safe place and to expect some adult onset acne. Why am i doing this you ask? I guess for the most part, I want to have a healthier relationship with food. I've gone so long without really being able to taste much (due to my allergy condition) that I just rely on texture and don't really know how to enjoy food anymore. Even if I eat something delicious I don't know how to know when I'm satisfied. I just want to keep putting food into my mouth because I've become more soothed by the action than the actual fare I consume. So as of this moment I am saying farewell to some of my dearest friends: dairy, meat, sugar, refined wheat, gluten, partially hydrogenated oil, & alcohol. We've had a lot of good times. Here are a few of them in this past week:
Our feast of buffalo wings, that we traveled all the way to the most tourist infested part of town to pay a mere $.30 per wing...

Then there was Christian's delicious birthday brunch that we cooked at the house, great fruit, eggs, pancakes, the works... and Luke, my favorite boy roommate of all time was there with us all the way from Brooklyn...

Later that same night, we ate at my preferred establishment, Juarez...mmm queso... (highly unnatural pose in this picture)

After seeing our friend's folk show, we got a little antsy
Then we indulged in my hard day's work of baked goods...

And finally tonight, I got to eat my last good meal with new friends Skip and Christy. She cooked her own birthday dinner for us all. Great salad and curry tofu (aka pizza soup)... and birthday cake, again...

Looking back it seems that I do in fact know how to enjoy food. I will not, however miss having to make the decision as to what or where to eat every day. But I do spend most of my time with my closest friends over meals, that I will surely not cut out of my life. I will just be the asshole at the table that orders hot water and lemon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mom's worried about the barks and roots thing...